Monday 11 September 2017

How Can You Respect the Opinions of Others, If You Don't Respect Yourself?

I had an interesting dialogue in comments in the Australian today as this relates to same sex marriage. In particular Cricket Australia jumping on the Yes bandwagon. I'm of the opinion sporting bodies should respect all their supporters and not take sides.

A poster, who goes by the name Damon made this comment. "It must be feeling very isolating being a no voter. They are already to some degree but ever increasingly pariahs." Odd wording but that is not the main point.

As I'm sure you will appreciate Damon's comment generated some responses of which some were perhaps unfortunate. But as Damon labelled those who disagreed with him Marxists, it probably didn't help.

My reply was granted pointed but I don't take kindly to being labeled a pariah. I pointed out labelling people pariahs for doing nothing more than not agreeing with him was immature and small-minded.

Damon replied, he was merely pointing out what must be for me a painful fact. He went on to say in years to come I would have to reconcile that I was on the wrong side of history and how embarrassing that would be. Of course Damon has no idea what side of history I'm on. I suggested he probably shouldn't make an ass of himself in jumping to conclusions.

What escapes people like Damon despite me suggesting it, is this. Reasonable people never feel like asses because others don't share their opinions. In fact they value a society where differing opinions are encouraged and respected. Some, may even change their opinions based on respectful and logical debate. Of course the ability to do that is usually associated with your level of commonsense, intellect, maturity and most importantly your upbringing.

Damon certainly wouldn’t win too many over to his side of the argument in 'spraying' everyone. But that's so typical today. No wonder it is a struggle to have sensible debate on issues that are important

I also think it’s sad that Damon admits, "It's hard to be respectful of a view when you don't respect it.". Damon fails to see you can disagree on an opinion but still respect the rights of others to hold opposing views. That means you don't label them pariahs. But then he summed it up when he said, "I care little for any respect you may have for my opinion. History will ultimately be the judge."

That probably explains a lot. How can Damon respect the opinions of others when it's blatantly clear he doesn't respect himself? If he did respect himself he would care what others think about his views.