Friday 19 September 2014

The Impact of Social Media & Society

I'm not the most patient of people, but that does depend on circumstance; what whom & why. I'm not prone to violent outbursts or screaming matches. I enjoy friendships with people of all persuasions; religious, ethnic backgrounds, political leaning, general interests. I respect their views, although we often share differing views and I hope they respect mine. Whilst I'm far from being a pushover, I do prefer to discuss differences than fight and argue. That said, even I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end when I do launch forth. I'm not proud of the odd times I 'have lost it'; it wasn't a pretty sight.

Having rationalized this, I now admit I'm finding it harder and harder to stay calm, focused and polite on social media. I think social media has many benefits. It's an outlet for us to express ourselves. We make contact with people all over the world who share common interests and we are often exposed to things we would have never considered before. If used properly, we can learn a lot. All good and now for the downside.

It's a forum that also exposes you to the worst of mankind. At least in thought and word. The lack of humanity, the cruelty, the bullying.  The ignorance, the fear, the racial attacks, the bigotry. The lack of respect, the hate, the bias, the inability to compromise, the double-standards. The anger.  The foul language. There are times I wish I could use a 60point font and just scream - WAKE-UP and listen to yourselves. People attack others without recognising they are no better.  They're doing exactly what they accuse others of doing. I guess the shocking realisation for me is that more and more 'ordinary' people (not meant in a derogative manner, just the men and women in the street) are becoming more aggressive. At least that's my gauge having followed some people for years. It saddens me. If we can't be civil to each other, if we can no longer recognise the impact we have on others through our thought and word then I fear for our future. If we keep it up, the society we end up with isn't a society I want to be part of anymore.