Monday 27 March 2017

The Spice Cupboard

There is something delightfully evocative about opening the door to my spice cupboard. Moroccan bazaars, Indian spice merchants, Malay Hawker stalls and the street sellers of Thailand are some of the images that captivate my mind. The intoxicating perfume of places far yonder invade my nostrils and fill me with warmth and comfort. 

Sumac, nutmeg, cinnamon, star anise, cumin and cardamom. Basil and sage, orange essence and rose water invoke memories of past travels. And, hopefully travels of the future. 

Who would have thought you could get all of that by merely opening a cupboard door? 

So on with my Roasted Pumpkin & Caviar d' Aubergine, which is the reason I opened it. A delight of herb baked butternut pumpkin with puréed aubergine. Persian feta, cream and sweet toasted pepita seeds. I enjoyed this recently at Briars Inn, in Bowral. I'm attempting to replicate the dish. I hope mine is as good.

Calories don't count on Monday. True.