Monday 12 December 2016

My Non-traditional Christmas Tree

I wanted to do something different this year rather than just put up the usual Christmas Tree. If truth be known, I was also a bit worried about my cat, the orange flash. This is his first Christmas and he is into everything. But, I was looking for something that had a meaning. So, I decided to decorate a cherry blossom. 

The Cherry blossom represents the fragility and the beauty of life. It’s a reminder that life is almost overwhelmingly beautiful, but that it is also tragically short. 

December for me is a more somber month, as I reflect on the passing of three members of my family including my much loved husband, Richard. In 2016 we also welcomed new members into our family. For one of those new members the passing of a life holds special memories having lost her baby daughter some years ago. 

So, my tree is a symbol of the remembrance of those we have lost and the celebration of the beauty of their lives. Recognition of and welcome to the news ones we have gained. And, a reminder that the most important thing in life is love and to treasure each moment we have with those we hold most dear.  That for me is what Christmas is all about. 

So from mine to yours. Merry Christmas.