Friday 13 November 2015

The World Does NOT Owe You Or Me A Living

There are many things I dislike about social media. However, on the plus side, I have met some unique and interesting people and occasionally I meet people, albeit anonymously, who teach and inspire me. Most importantly, give me one hell of a wake-up call and make me think. 

Politics is a particular passion of mine and it would be fair to say that it has resulted in some very emotive exchanges on social media. Not just for me, but for many people. As a result of one of those exchanges, one of my followers shared this story with me. It had such a powerful effect on me, I asked permission to share it on my Reflections blog. 

It reads: 

“Unfortunately, when you care about the direction our great country is heading in and the cost of doing or not doing something, it's hard to not get angry at the indifference, our politicians have to the people they govern. I  have to say both sides are guilty of forgetting that it's the people they govern, not business. I'm also particularly annoyed at tax avoidance by multinationals or even nationals and I don't agree with our current policy. 

I also think our welfare system is bloated from social, business and middle class welfare that needs to be cut immediately. Our politicians also need to stop the rhetoric about climate change and start the nation building projects that take 10/20 years to bring home instead of these one term projects. 

Sadly, it's all about getting reelected and staying in power. 

Abbott stuffed up, made promises he should not have made and then he had to back track. He was also  a bad salesman. I fear Turnbull is too soft and too far left leaning to take the necessary measures to stop the rot in the welfare mentality and the ‘me me’ generation of wanting it all now. I look at the Aldi workers complaining about having to de-pallet boxes in the store and their complaining it's hard work and think, ‘get over it, it's a job.’ 

Welfare  isn't a lifestyle it's supposed to be enough to buy essentials like food and to live. 

I have worked every day since I was 9 and I'm 49 now. I earned $4 a day for hard back breaking work. I also delivered milk every day from 5.30 am for $16 week. I washed cars for $3. Whatever I earned I gave  50% back to my parents. 

We had no phone, colour TV, bathroom, hot water, or even a car. 

l left school at 14 but went back and completed the HSC equivalent when I was 16. When I finished school I couldn't get a grant for college even though my dad didn't earn much, yet rich peoples kids were getting grants. Who you knew seemed more important than your right to receive. But, my mother was a fighter and finally got me  $1000 a year grant to live. It didn't even cover rent. So I worked and saved and put myself through college. 
I came here as a 20 year old by myself with just $1200 and a suitcase no family or friends. There was no one here to help me and I've worked hard every day to get ahead with no help even during periods of no work. I never asked  for or went on the dole. It was not easy and there were times I had to sleep in my car when my clients wouldn’t pay me. 


I have employed 10 designers at various stages in my career. I’ve won awards overseas and I’ve published worldwide. I've done the hard yards over the years and contributed to this country that has given me a chance. 

My political views are from my life experiences and I may take a hard line sometimes but it's never personal. I believe that those who choose to serve shouldn't forget that their job is TO serve. 

I'm over the ALP and the entitlement belief and the eternal ‘take, take, take’. This  country needs good leadership steeped in conservative values to bring us back from this PC UN values nonsense before we become a version of the U.K. 

So, forgive me if I come across as hard or arrogant, it's just that I probably care more than I should as a non participant.” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was deeply moved after reading that and I sense it  echoes what a lot of people think. Perhaps we have not had to struggle like my friend has, I know I haven’t, but I firmly believe the world doesn’t owe anyone a living. I certainly agree about Tony Abbott and whilst I’m not as concerned about Malcolm Turnbull lurching too far to the left and I’ve articulated my reasons a number of times, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I still have doubts. 

I strongly agree, it is about time all politicians realised they are our servants, not the other way around. Their first allegiance is to Australia and the people who call this country home not foreign entities. I’m over the stupid political game playing. We are part of a global economy but that shouldn’t result in us losing our sovereignty, our rights or control. 

I couldn’t agree more that it’s time to end the ‘cash for votes’ mentality and that includes greedy people who vote for parties based on what they get, not what’s in the best interests for our future. As an example. No kid should be allowed to leave school and go straight onto the dole. That is simply hideous thinking and gives no incentive for kids to understand you get nothing for nothing. Someone ha to pay. 

I watched a program recently from the UK. It was a lifestyle program, but what really struck a cord was the family situation. Single mum, I would have guessed under 40. Ten kids, living in a council house. The eldest daughter was 21, a single mum with a small child of her own, living with mum and her nine siblings. The daughter was moving out shortly after the program was filmed. Yes, into her own council house.

No one should expect that the aged pension is their retirement fund. Our taxes fund services throughout our life, they are not our future savings plan. Those who plan and save for their retirement get nothing and it appears the Government is looking at raiding the superannuation funds of future self-funded retirees. What type of woolly headed thinking is that, reward the dependants by screwing the self-sufficient. That thinking makes me very, very angry because it kills incentive. 

By all means we must look after those who are totally incapable of looking after themselves. But when you consider how much it costs our country in handing out the ‘lollies’ to those who are capable, it’s not hard to realise the problems we face; economic, social and politically. 

Welfare is the career of choice for far too many.  When it’s not treated as a ‘full-time’ career, it becomes a part-time occupation = middle class welfare. We are raising kids with a cradle to grave welfare expectation and politicians promote it. It has to stop. 

Back to the exchange with my friend. It ended with him saying. 

"I've lived the dream here, gods own country so I'm thankful for it all every day." 

Hear, hear but we have a lot of work to do,  to ensure it stays that way.