Wednesday 25 November 2015

Could We Give It A Rest, Please?

Don't know about you, but I'm a bit tired of hearing about ISIS & maybe terror attacks. Page after page of media reports. Social media saturation with every armchair expert in the universe voicing an opinion, which is their right, I know but seriously can’t we give it a rest? 

Reminds me of a few months back when we were all going to die from an Ebola pandemic.  Remember that? It was going to wipe out millions of people. Days and days of  scare mongering and knee jerk. Thousands and thousands of dollars spent on screening and tightened security. Guess what, it didn't happen. We are still here. 

I’m not saying we should be blasé about what is happening in the Middle East. I'm not saying we should be completely fooled into thinking we are immune. Only an idiot would think that. But seriously, on the probability scale of what will kill me, I’m figuring being bumped off by a terrorist wouldn’t be number one on the list right now. 

I feel very comfortable that our security forces and our police are on top of this. They can never guarantee everyone will be safe, no one can. The same as a driving test assessor in granting someone a license can never guarantee that person will not kill you whilst they are behind the wheel of a car. That’s life. 

I don’t know about you, but I had safety rules drummed into me from the time I was a child. We should be cautious. Nothing new in that. But to turn on the news, switch to any media service and be faced with as I said page after page of drama, hypothesis and questioning our security only frightens people or increases their anger. 

I caught the replay of an Alan Jones interview with the odious Mr Bernard Gaynor on 2GB873 last night. My God. Talk about whipping up paranoia and hatred. I’ve mentioned Mr Gaynor previously. He is the ex Army Major who was booted out for his extreme homophobic, Islamophobic, misogynistic  and bullying tactics. Mr Gaynor is running for a senate seat next election for the Australian Liberty Alliance. Mr Gaynor also now appears to have found a champion in Mr Jones, who is also well known for possessing the same set of corrupted values as Mr Gaynor. They were having a great old time slurring our ADF and our security capability. The main thrust of their discussion was Muslims in the services and the fact that our security is compromised as a result. Disgraceful stuff in my opinion and my very low opinion of Gaynor and Alan Jones has now reached the level of utter contempt. 

Whilst ever we put up with this stuff and support people like Jones and Gaynor the more they’ll play to an already frightened electorate in their cynical campaign to garner listeners and supporters. 

But hey, I’m merely one voice, but I suspect I’m not the only one thinking they have had enough. There are more things going on in the world and in the country that we need to know about and talk about.