Wednesday 3 June 2015

Smart Leaders Don't Play The Misogynist Card


I know very few strong female leaders who haven’t faced some level of bullying in their career. I’ve certainly received my fair share. It often took the form of undermining, attempts to belittle, spreading untruths, and even being accused of bullying for simply standing my ground.  Most, find ways to overcome and often earn the respect of the ‘bully’ in doing so. In my case, two men who bullied me at one point ended up becoming two of my strongest allies and supporters. Few, use bullying as a tool to gain sympathy or gain. Whilst we have shared our experiences among ourselves and even used experiences and our solutions when teaching other woman how to deal with bullying, few make a big ‘song and dance’ about it.

With the above mind, it disappoints me (and to some degree surprises me) that Julia Gillard has once again chosen to accuse another man of bullying. This time, she has used the opportunity in a documentary airing on ABC. Julia has a history of accusing men of bullying her; Tony Abbott and now Kevin Rudd to name two. Julia always struck me as a strong and forthright woman. Strong and forthright women do not devalue themselves in admitting men bully them. You would never hear Margaret Thatcher or Angela Merkel do that.

Ms Gillard achieved the highest position in the land, that of Prime Minster. Whilst her ascension to the position was clouded with controversy, the fact that she was in a position to be considered and that she was eventually appointed by the Labor party speaks volumes.  It indicates she is as they say ‘no wilting flower’. So why is she constantly pushing the misogynist bullying line. To me, it indicates she only got the position playing the weak female. That may be unfair but I suspect I’m not the only one who thinks that.  Particularly those of us who have reached senior positions within big business and who have faced all sorts of barriers (including misogyny and bullying) but who have dealt with it quietly and not used it as a crutch.

I do not support Julia Gillard’s political party being an avowed middle of the road conservative. I also think she was a very poor Prime Minister which is a huge disappointment for many. Those two things aside, she had a superb opportunity to be a great role model for young women endeavouring to build their careers. I am always looking for inspirational women to use as examples to help motivate young women to be the very best they can. Unfortunately, those women who seek to play the misogyny card demotivate rather than motivate. Certainly, those women who play that card to excuse their failures are automatically dismissed. Sadly Julia is in that group. What an opportunity we have lost as a result.