Thursday 12 May 2016

Australian Electoral Commission's Responsibility

I was happy when the senate reform legislation passed. In fact, I stayed up until the wee small hours watching the debate because to me it was important. It appeared obvious as voters we should decide where our senate preferences go, not behind-the-scenes vote manipulators. Neither should parties who do secret deals with other parties (we don’t support) to increase their chances of gaining a seat.

Given the revenge strategies now being played out by micro parties (from the last parliament and running for this one) I am even more convinced we need to clear this rabble out. We certainly shouldn't vote anymore in. By their actions this group has proven time and again they have no real interest in improving the country, hence us. It's about power and lunatic fringe ideas. Rant over. 

With this in mind I am concerned about the information the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC)have published on their website and via ads. They only tell half the story. I don’t know if that is deliberate or because of legislative constraints or merely waiting for Bob Day’s high court ruling. But they must give voters all the relevant information to enable them to execute their vote and make it count. I don’t believe the AEC are fulfilling their role in giving us all the facts. 

This is an important election. Senate voting can be confusing. This time around we have the added confusion of senate voting changes. The issue is this. Given the changes to senate voting rules I expect more people will access the AEC site for how to vote information. So yesterday I visited the AEC site and, I tested out the practice link. I know if I choose I can put 1 in one box above the line. I did that and I got this back. 


So I queried this via Twitter and copied the AEC. I received this in reply (see below). They were quick to respond. However, I am still waiting for a response to my second question.   (see below). I want to know the answer; how will you treat my vote. I’m not the only one. 

I followed the senate debate and I understand the rules. But unless people read SkyNews online and picked up Mathias Cormann’s confirmation yesterday that putting the number 1 in one box above the line was valid I’d probably follow the AEC instructions. I am sure many will. They certainly wouldn’t know anything different from reading the AEC material. 

I have no intentions of allocating preferences to any party. I will be voting for one party in the senate. But I know people who felt they would be forced to allocate preferences because they weren’t aware they didn’t have to do so. I am also aware many people have voiced their concern over the lack of clarification. They have done that via social media and talkback radio. I've certainly been doing my bit.

We have a right and an expectation to receive exact, prompt  and detailed information on how to vote. Whilst I understand the Electoral Commission can not and should not direct you how to vote I fail to understand why they can’t just say if you mark one box only your vote is a formal vote.  

This is the relevant section. 


I have no idea what instructions parties will give on ‘how to vote cards’. Or what blub parties will have on their website and printed on material. I maybe unfair in saying this. But I suspect the Greens and fringe parties (who will need preferences for their  candidates to stand a chance of being elected) will not tell you, you only have to number one box above the line. Why? Because they pick up preferences if you number all six. Let's face it people pick up a handful of how to vote cards when entering the polling station.

All I ask is that our choices are made clear. I don't buy into the LNP / Greens conspiracy. That's just fanciful. But the AEC has the responsibility to provide all the information we need, not just some of it. If they are not prepared to make it clear we should be questioning why not. My attitude is >>>> Just do it.