Friday 15 April 2016

Please Consider Their Families

The judgements are coming thick and fast on the 60-minutes team saga. I’ll not comment on the merits or not of what they did. One day the full story will emerge and at that point I guess everyone will once again voice their opinions. 

What is very clear is as a society how judgemental we are. I’m not absolving myself from the comment for I can sometimes be too quick to judge. However, I try to seek more information than just paper gossip before I make a comment. But I’m human failure is par for the course.  

Some comments in response to media reports or social media chatter about the 60-minutes saga both shock and sadden me. The morale outrage about the circumstances surrounding someone else's predicament is astounding. What they did is one thing, but they are in trouble. They need help and support. 

It makes me wonder if those who show so little empathy (and at times downright nastiness) towards others when they need help, ever make mistakes themselves. When I’ve asked on earlier occasions it often generates the typical “I would never make that mistake.” A mistake is a mistake. There’s no universal rating system that says this mistake is more or less acceptable but than another. It's merely personal judgement. I wonder if the morally superior ever put themselves in risky positions to help others, regardless of how foolhardy it might be. Lastly, I wonder how the morally superior would react if a member of their family were in a similar situation. 

I don’t know what the family circumstances are of the rest of the 60-minutes crew. I do know Tara Brown has a husband and two little kids. They must be worried sick. The kids are probably too young to understand what it means but I bet they are missing their mum. They need all the support they can get as do the families of the rest of the team. So please spare a thought for them before jumping on the high horse and galloping to the morale high-ground.

I hope and pray the situation is resolved as quickly as possible. Then those affected can return home to be with their families where they belong.