Thursday 31 December 2015

My New Year Wish


On the eve of a new year, it's a time to reflect on what we leave behind and think about what may lay ahead. At this time last year, I was brimming with optimism about the year ahead. In so many ways 2015 delivered. Best ever holidays, lovely times with our family and sharing with good friends. Good health. Just being together with the one I loved the most, delivered so much joy. But the happiness was tinged with pain. I lost two very special friends during 2015. Then I faced the biggest loss of all in December with the sudden passing of my darling Richard. 

When someone is ill and suffering their passing whilst tragic is understandable. When someone who is healthy and full of life just goes, it’s hard to rationalise and to accept, but I must. Death, unfortunately, is a reality we will all face at some time and for those left behind it is never a good time. How we deal with sudden loss depends on the strength you draw from those who left us, the support we have around us, our personal strength and our deeply held beliefs. 

So, I learnt the harshest lesson of all in 2015 and that is to never take things for granted. From that the true meaning of living each day as if it was your last has more relevance. Telling those you hold most dear, how much you love them, (at every opportunity) is really important.

So on the eve of a new year, this year, I'm full of sadness, but also full optimism for a life that will be different. A life that is full of so many happy memories which never die and from which I draw strength. I'm not the type of person that falls in a heap and I know Richard would expect me to get on with life. That is exactly what I plan to do. To live each day's as if it was my last and to have no regrets. 

I wish you and your family a wonderful 2016 and I will leave you with this blessing. I hope you like it. 

“Let this year be filled with the things that are truly meaningful; a guardian angel to keep us safe and watch over us, good health, peace, happiness and prosperity. May we have an abundance of warmth in our relationships. The humility and openness to accept help from others. The strength to help those who need our help and the courage to stand-up for those who cannot defend themselves.

As we make our resolutions for the year ahead, let us go forward with great hope that all things can be possible if we maintain belief in ourselves and most importantly, belief in others.”