Friday 8 August 2014

Reflections: A Woman From Iraq

I met a woman and her daughter who were originally from Iraq, when I was in NZ at the end of last year. She and her daughter came into NZ as refugees following the death of her husband, who was murdered. She wanted a better life for her daughter and she feared for their safety as we can appreciate.  She has made a nice life for the two of them in Auckland. She owns a lovely little fashion jewellery business, which is what drew me to her shop. 

We struck up a conversation and I asked her about her family. She told me they were all in Iraq. I asked her how they coped. She said, they just get on with it and that some have known, no other life. I was intrigued as to why they didn't leave as she had. Her comments made some sense. She said it's their home. It's the only thing they have after years of fighting. Their home and each other. Some just wanted to stay in the hope it would improve (sadly it hasn't) and some to keep fighting in the only way they know for a better life. They haven't taken up arms. They were merely being defiant. 

I've been thinking a lot about her and her daughter over recent weeks. I pray her family is safe and I can't imagine the anguish she is feeling right now. Although I only met her briefly, I will remember her always and on reflection I suspect she and her family (in Iraq) will be 'just getting on with' being defiant and believing they will overcome.