Wednesday 23 July 2014

The Death of Standards - Jacqui Lambie


Yesterday, during a radio interview, Senator Jacqui Lambie sunk to an all-time low engaging in what can only be described as a smutty exchange with the radio hosts and a young male caller (young enough to be her son). 
Given Ms Lambie is a senator and given her history of vile comments and her thirst to seek notoriety, I like many others, was outraged by the comments. That prompted me to take to twitter with a series of comments.  Those comments varied from questioning double-standards, the inappropriateness of the comments and the slight against men which was largely condoned by the media. In one of my tweets I included a meme comparing the performances of the two Australian female politicians making headlines yesterday; FM Julie Bishop and Senator Jacqui Lambie. In that meme I referred to Ms Lambie as “Trailer Trash”.  On one hand we have Ms Bishop performing on the world stage, achieving the admiration of global leaders and working on achieving an outcome for the families of those who lost loved ones on flight MH17. Then we have Ms Lambie making smutty comments on radio. No comparison.

Back to my comment about trailer trash the definition of which is lower class white people.  I feel very strongly that Ms Lambie’s behaviour to date and her history fits very well with that description. Yes, it is a harsh comment but vile behaviour warrants harsh comment and Ms Lambie isn’t backwards in making some very harsh and deeming comments about others.

As a result of the meme in question I encountered a tweep using the handle @swbeeton.  Mr Beeton had the temerity to call me vulgar for suggesting Ms Lambie was trailer trash.  Then Mr Beeton attempted to justify it in saying that he didn’t call me vulgar just my meme. It’s much in the same thing as far as I am concerned. Mr Beeton had not made one comment about Ms Lambie and her interview so it appears that;

·       Asking a young man half her age if is he is ‘well hung’ is OK

·       Asking the same young man if is he is diseased is OK

·       Stating that a man doesn’t need to speak if he has money and is well hung is OK

·       Talking about your sons genitals is OK http://www.2gb.com/article/jacqui-lambie-said-what-about-her-son#.U878oWIaySM

Well I stand by what I said and if in the mind of Mr Beeton it makes me vulgar so be it, but I seriously think it says a lot more about him and those who condone the behaviour of this woman than me.  I will persist in my demands for decent standards of behaviour from our elected leaders and in particular women.  I will no longer accept excuses made for Ms Lambie she is 43 years old not a child.  She is an elected (if somewhat rigged) politician and her comments have made news across the world. How appalling is that.  Yet the media and others continue justify her performances with comments such as;

·       She isn’t media savvy

·       She’s learning and inexperienced

·       It’s all a bit of a joke

NOT GOOD ENOUGH.  You don’t need to be media savvy to have high standards; you don’t need to be experienced to act with grace and class and you don’t need to learn how to act in public at 43.  If you do, then you are not suitable to be a leader in this country and if Ms Lambie doesn't have the intelligence to understand that then she has two options;
  1. Change her behaviour now and start acting like an elected leader
  2. Or resign