Monday 24 February 2014

Dealing With Energy Zappers


As an avid social media user I am both intrigued and appalled by the bullying that goes on particularly on places like Twitter.  If you dare to have the temerity to share a different view, odds are you will be pounced on by all sundry. This can be tiring and emotionally extremely draining, if you let it get to you. No one appears to accept that people do have different opinions.  That doesn’t make them evil, or scum as you are often referred to as. It doesn’t make you a racist or intolerant.  It simply means your ‘measuring’ criterion is different.

This got me thinking about ‘energy zappers’. I’m sure many of the attackers on Twitter etc. are just that; ‘energy zappers or drainers’.  

Some years ago I was a member of a very small team working for an extremely well known international business responsible for a major acquisition of a significant chuck of opposition business. We were required to work with a senior executive of one of the acquired businesses. To say he was a pig of a man would be an understatement. The mere thought of having to endure his behaviour in meetings would almost make me ill.  This was a man who would not allow our regional heads PA (and minute taker) to sit at the boardroom table with the rest of us. He made her sit at a table in the corner of the room. He viewed her as being beneath him.

I was relaying the story to a friend of mine. Sharing with her that I felt completely drained after meetings and the fact that I was steam rolled on almost every recommendation by this man.  She shared with me the story of energy zappers. These are people who are bullies and who drain your energy in an attempt to control and manipulate.  She gave me a book by the wonderful Louise Hays where she talked about how you could beat these people and take your control back.  The advice was simple.  Use the abundant energy that is all around us to reenergise. 

The next morning I was flying interstate for the project meeting.  Instead of sitting on the aisle I took a window seat.  My usual practice was aisle seat as close to the front as possible (luckily I generally flew business). First on, first out that was me.  I used the time in fight to observe the clouds, the sun, the blue sky and I started to draw in energy from this.  Try it, you will be surprised.  I gave myself plenty of time on arrival to sit in the park for 30-mins.  Trees give off amazing energy. This isn’t about hugging trees; it’s about merely sitting quietly, breathing in and absorbing the energy.  So now calm, centred and full of energy off to the meeting I went.  From the moment I walked in the door I felt powerful.  My ‘bully’ could sense that as well.  There was even a change in his greeting before the meeting started.  Suffice to say I won every point that day and my ‘bully’ never beat me again. I insisted that our PA sit at the table and surprise, surprise he conceded. The project was successful and I learnt a valuable lesson.

I have used the technique many times since and I have shared this story with many people. So now the challenge is to find a way to use the same process when dealing with people on line.