Monday 6 November 2017

It’s Time To Go Malcolm

Towards the end of Tony Abbott’s reign I was open in sharing in views that he either had to make changes or hand over to someone who would. He was warned of the consequences of failing to act. When he didn’t, the inevitable happened. Prior to that change I was also vocal in my criticism of Malcolm Turnbull. Albeit I don’t believe he was the major source of white-anting against Abbott. 

I’ve never been a huge fan of Abbott’s. But as a Liberal member I prefer LNP policies to the opposition. My loyalty is to the party so, I supported Abbott and defended his less than desirable actions. That was until there were just too many failures for me. I would have preferred Tony Abbott to have wised up and stepped down but he couldn’t see or accept there was a problem. He paid the price. 

Likewise, I’m not and never have been a huge fan of Malcolm Turnbull. But as the new leader of my party I was prepared to give him a go. To be fair, the Turnbull led government hasn’t done as bad a job as the chatter would have you believe. But we need more than that. We need strong dynamic leadership. We need a voice that can command attention and respect despite the message not always being what people want to hear. We need a voice that can get the message out there and stop the decline. We need a voice that can define the vision and get people enthused about it. Malcolm sadly is not that voice. It’s been two years of hoping for change. It’s not happening. 

I don’t support overthrowing leaders. But if they won’t listen sometimes for the greater good, it’s the only option. It time for someone to knock on Malcolm’s door and convince him it’s time to go. But to go gracefully on his terms if need be but go he must. My dilemma is I can’t see an inspiring replacement. All the usual suspects come with baggage. Perhaps we need a ‘left-fielder’. Someone with no baggage. Who it is I don’t know. But they need to stick their head up now. We’re running out of time.