Saturday 15 October 2016

Anti-Establishment Movement

I’m all for challenging the status quo and challenging the establishment. I’ve never been what you would call a good rules person. My Dad always said I was ‘born ‘agin the government’; he was right. Far too many rules serve only to inhibit us. Far too many decisions are made that serve the minority and those with their hand out.
That said basic rules such as those taught to us as children (being raised in a Christian society) have merit.  Whether you subscribe to the specific doctrine is another matter. But the rules of decency, honesty, charity etc., make good common sense.
We are going through turbulent times, both globally and to a lesser degree here in Australia. We hear ad nauseam how angry people are. How disenfranchised people feel. I don’t dismiss it, it’s a fact. We are seeing a lot being played out all too graphically in the US with the run-up to their election. We see this played out on social media daily.
But a question I ask myself all too often of late is this. Why are so many people who are leading the anti-establishment charge such goddamn awful people? So many behave like disrespectful bullies. They are aggressive in the extreme.  With Donald Trump his morals both personally and professionally are questionable. I will say Hilary Clinton appears to be no better but she isn't championing the anti-establishment cause, Trump is. We see the same in our own country. Dare I say, the worst hide behind their Christian halo? They are nothing more than frauds in my book.
I’m not sure what it says about society when people like that manage to attract followers. Perhaps it’s because people just listen to the lines they are being fed and don’t look beyond to the legitimacy of the person. They are simply looking for someone to ‘save’ them. The demigod syndrome. Or, is it a matter of strike back and pays back. Lashing out and jumping on board with the first person who says what they are thinking regardless of the consequences. Perhaps it is like following like. Who knows, but it worries me. I get the overwhelming feeling this will not end well.
What we desperately need are people with values who live those values and who have credibility to challenge the establishment. We don’t appear to have people like that anymore. If we do, they certainly don’t get a voice. Instead, we are left with the dregs.
I think it’s a very scary trend. What to do about it, I’ve no idea. I guess there is not much I can do apart from (in my very small way) keep talking about it and demanding better from those who seek to lead. Keep searching for role models.  Then make others aware they are out there.
No one is perfect. But when we choose leaders, we should choose those who are closest to an expression of our values and our aspirations. To do otherwise, is to betray the very things we say we stand for. Because at the end of the day, our behaviours reflect our values. That goes for who we pick to lead us as well.