Friday 23 September 2016

Acknowledging a Good Job Doesn't Make Me a Devotee

It fascinates and annoys me that it's almost impossible to voice support for a political leader, without receiving at least one idiotic comment accusing me of slavish adoration. I’ve seen the same done to others so I’m not being singled out. 

The latest example happened this morning. I’d posted a Daily Telegraph news report from Simon Benson headed “Malcolm channels Abbott on refugees.” Along with my comment there was nothing wrong with that. As an LNP member it's what I expect. Border control and refugee management being a centre piece of LNP Policy. NOTE LNP Policy. 

It's also pleasing to see the PM is taking a tougher line and being more outspoken on the subject. In my opinion he’s done a good job in the US. Like many others, I was concerned he might have gone soft after winning the election. He hasn’t and I for one believe we should acknowledge that. It demonstrates to me he is listening to people. Surely a good thing. 

I received this response. 

My first thought was to fire a missile back, but that just brings me down to the same level. So I simply pointed out Turnbull is not and never was my beloved and mentioned there are no original thoughts. 

It was Mark Twain who said in his own autobiography, “There is no such thing as a new idea. It is impossible. We simply take a lot of old ideas and put them into a sort of mental kaleidoscope. We give them a turn and they make new and curious combinations. We keep on turning and making new combinations indefinitely; but they are the same old pieces of colored glass that have been in use through all the ages.”

He is right. Only a fool doesn’t take good ideas, run with them or improve them. 

So why are political expressions of fairness and support so often turned into accusations of slavish devotion by detractors? Who knows. Childishness? Maybe. Comment for comments sake? Perhaps. Stupidity and ignorance? Likely. Inability to see beyond their own prejudice? It wouldn’t surprise me. To be annoying? That is definitely a positive. 

I was taught to believe in fairness and to acknowledge a good job or good deed when warranted. That is underpinned by a commitment to generosity that I associate with my upbringing. It is after all a basic Christian value. That doesn’t make me a slavish devotee.